Monday, April 19, 2010

Image, negotiated brief.

After scanning in my typefaces, I brought them into illustrator, starting with violet, I looked at ways of laying out my posters. I'd already decided on 6 lines of 5 characters in my journal, this allowed me to avoid widowing. It then just became a matter of spacing the letters in a way pleasing to the eye using the guid tool to make sure they lined up evenly.
Initially I looked at putting the typeface in colour against a white background, and this looked alright but it was a little bit empty and uninformative. I added the text at the bottom to try and contextualise the typeface a bit. I thought that it was a bit plain, and it would look much stronger as a series if I used bold block colours instead of putting the typeface in colour against a white background. The text at the bottom then went through a brief swap between helvetica and futura, oblique and regular, underscored and not, before I decided on futura oblique, underscored. It gives it a nice contemporary feel, as well as making it feel like part of a catalogue or a series. This layout will now become the template for the rest of my typefaces.
















With the red, i started with quite a pinky red, decided that this wasn't appropriate, I then looked at quite a vibrant red, but it didn't sit well with me, I felt it was a little bit too positive for the type's connotations and what it was trying to communicate. I decided to pick a dark red after this to see if it would look better, I wasn't too keen, so I settled on a muted red which, I thought it had the best balance of legibility and communicatin what I wanted.




Here's my choices for Orange, I experimented with a few, but to be honest, I hate orange so it was difficult to decide what was the best, I like the muted feel of the one I ended up on, it kind of seemed appropriate given the muted colours of the other ones. This is my least favourate poster, and to top it off, the printer for some reason printed this one a little bit streaky, which isn't noticeable from a distance, but still really bugs me. GRRR.



With yellow, I started with pure yellow, that you get in the ink cartridge, however this was far too vibrant and very difficult for the eye to focus on the white, making it difficult to view as a poster or as part of a catalogue carrying information. I then experimented with a few shades of muted yellow before landing on the final one.




Ok with Green, as usual I followed the format I started with violet. I started playng around with what green suited gooey best, I started with quite a dark green which didn't look right, before exploring mint green, which again wasn't appropriate. Finally I settled on a sort of very yellow-heavy green, which gave it a snotty, slimey green that i found fully appropriate to the subject matter. I then tried simplifying the detail, and whilst it still worked as a typeface, I was really keen on the detail in the type.










Using the same format as the others, I laid the type out 5 on a row, 6 rows down. Here are a few experiments with colour. I started with quite a vibrant blue and realised it needed toning down because it didn't say melencholy at all. I played around with various shades of muted blues, before deciding upon the last one as the one that suited the mood bet for me.










Here's the development of my label. I started out wanting to do something quite hand drawn in my sketchbook, but then I realised that there are proper typographical elements on each poster and it would probaly work better and look professional if I used typography and created a logo. So I started playing around with futura, which I'd decided on as the poster type and used a similar italic, underscored version for the title, whilst keeping the italics for all the other elements. Then I just played around with the layout and brought in a loog. Initially it was just the colours of the posters inside the pack, however I realised quite quickly that this by it's self looks really amateurish, so I added the triangle which represents a prism, a tool to refract light into it's many colours, and I was really happy with the way it looked. I then turned this into a vinyl sticker, which I used to fasten the belly band.





Here's some photographs of the finished piece. If I'm going to add them to a mini portfolio or whatever, they need a bit of editing with the colours and such but they're high qaulity god photographs and I'm happy with the outcome.















No comments:

Post a Comment