Monday, September 27, 2010

Analysing the briefs I've written

I actually did this on friday but after a weekend with my lovely daughter, I've only just found time to do this properly. Here are some of the briefs I've written (aside from the other two that I've definitely picked. As you can probably tell, I have discovered most of them won't get the results I'm really after.

This brief is for a free publication for the DIY scene in the North East, to be distributed in record shops etc. I'm quite happy with ti as a concept, my only issue is that it won't allow me to showcase high end print finish. I guess it's a bit of a compromise, low budget doesn't have to mean low quality in the slightest. It's a topic I'm really interested in having been involved in the scene a little over summer, so it's one that I still might undertake.


This is an interesting brief that would involve engaging young people about newspapers and probably involve interesting ways to present infographics. As I don't really want to do info-graphics, I've realised that this is a stupid idea unless it became a publication where I collaborated with someone interested in info-graphics, in which case it becomes something special maybe. Given this isn't live I'll probably look at collaboration at a later date, I really want to focus on my portfolio being my portfolio at this stage.




This brief suffered from false-live-brief-syndrome. I was too desperate to make it feel like a live brief when it shouldn't be. It's very high concept about fibonacci numbers. I think on reflection it should have been a publication about different mathmatical sequences and developing visuals and posters from this. My problem with this is that I don't really want to get neck deep in maths to come up with visuals. it's also a little bit too similar to my book fair brief and I don't want to repeat myself too much.


This is about the UK film council, I like the idea of doing something for the UK Film Council, but I really, really don't want to do something where it has to be mass production print or even web design because it means having to do a lot of budgeting, rather than focusing on high quality print production which is a major aim for this year! I have a few other briefs but they really weren't worth exploring. I put down that I wanted to work on fashion things when I did the 5 wants and I'm already collaborating with Daisy from fashion, so I'm going to see if I can do her stationary and labels and tags and stuff, which would be a really awesome live brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment