Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What is Good? presentation

Here is my presentation on Barrack Obama is good. I decided to play it from the angle that Obama is good because he's a symbol of change.





Ok, so I started by looking at the things I learned about his past from reading his auto-biography. It was interesting to find that the activism he shows now started at a grass-roots level when he was an Organiser in Altgeld, Chicago. This perhaps propelled the idea that he's the man to bring about change even more. His Multicultural identity probably helped too.


While doing some further research on what he did when he was younger, I found a proportion of right wing people claiming he lied about his past and that he's a Muslim and a Marxist. I tend to think that these people are a little (a lot) paranoid and I found the wonderful image above. I think it fully discredits this opinion. These people fascinate me, I wouldn't of minded doing my project on them.



I then went chronologically to his election campaignand focused on his logo and how this propelled the idea of Barrack Obama as a symbol of change. Its a logo of a sunset on a hill and gets the balance of symbolism and corporate identity quite nicely. I didn't get much first hand research before the presentation due to personal problems, so I may ask a few students what this symbol means to them.




I then looked at his Presidency and how he got a Noble Peace prize for the change he's created and the hope he brings. I also substantiated it with things he's done such as shut down guantanamo bay etc.

I think my presentation went OK, but it was a bit one dimensional due to lack of primary resources or radical research. Given what I've learned about the new brief I'm going to need to work harder to get some interesting ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment