Thursday, March 11, 2010

Book Fair Brief

For the book brief I decided that a poster was the most effective way to carry my typeface, theres not enough content to create a book, plus this way it's more cost effective and quicker to reproduce, something that is good to bare in mind when having to reproduce 10 of them. So below are the scans of the blue alphabet I made. I used the theme of the ocean and water as a basis and worked from there.






Here is the typeface laid out, and my attempts to make it more engaging, the first is the basic typeface in a blue.

I then layerd this with a greenier blue and used the multiply tool, I like the effect, when you see the detail it makes your eyes jump a little, it's almost like the lettering shimmers.

Finally, I added some boats onto it, to make it more illustrative, however, I think it's really childish in the way it looks.


Ultimately I decided that no one is going to buy a typeface just laid out as a typeface, it needs to be contextualised. After a bit of quick looking, i found the quote 'Roll on though deep, dark, blue ocean..." by Lord Byron, and I thought it was really poetic and melencholy and suited the typeface beautifully.

So I applied the typeface to the quote:
Here it is in a few different colours, before double layering it and multiplying like I did before to recreate the shimmering effect.






While I quite like the qoute and the typeface, the illustrator i me wanted to create more flourishing with so i put in the boat.


here's a correction the p was a little illegible on the word 'deep' so I deleted some of the bubbles around the letter to improve it's clarity.


Here's the poster printed out.


Here it is rolled up and labelled. The labels were designed using my own handwriting and imagery from the poster. It has to communicate some of the content, issue number and price. I think I've successfully done this and I'm happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment