Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Signage Brief

So with the signage brief, I had a lot on, which isn't an excuse but I decided after a quick few sketches in my sketchbook, that I needed to bang them out quickly and so I went with my first idea, rightly or wrongly, which is to make it simplistic, using geometric coloured shapes to create simple and vibrant signage that gets the message across quicky.


Here are a few different layouts for studio one, experimenting with colour and layout. The decisions I made on this one informed the decisions I made with the rest of the signage. I made a conscientious decision to avoid sqaures because they don't really have a dynamic feel, they seem kind of clunky and awkward. In terms of typography, I used Clarendon because it's the font that college use for all of it's design and I thought keeping a consistency would be nice. I thought I'd try the teal colour that I saw in last years final show graphics, but it doesn't seem as effective.


Then I began on the next two in the same document, again using geometric shapes, I decided to stick to CMYK because it's a well renowned colour system that designers have to deal with every day.

I created the studio 2 very quickly, just trying the different colour combinations to see which works best. The yellow was too light against the two and it didn't stand out, so my original choice of magenta worked the best. In terms of studio to leading to 3, I had this idea in my sketchbook and it works really nicely on paper.



With the tutorial room, I tried to make a speech bubble using geometric shapes, it didn't seem to work as two different colours, but geled alot better when it was one, the image became more readable as a speech bubble.




The imagery for office was thought of in my sketchbook, I started looking at desks and chairs but deicided the symbol for paper worked a lot more simply and efficiently. And there we are. To say I knocked them up really quickly, I'm actually really happy with the outcome. They communicate clearly, although they're more type based than they are image based, however, I don't think typography is avoidable on this brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment