Friday, February 12, 2010

Making DVD Menus.

I started by using the schematic I put up on my blog to work out exactly what text assets I needed. I then began drawing them out and scanning them in, using illustrator to change the colours so they'd work thematically with my Ident content. Here are some examples:




I then began creating my DVD, I have to be honest, preffering print, I actually designed my case first, I used the colours I'd chosen at that stage to provide a little continuity between the case and the menus.




I realsied that the Silent movie brief needed a slightly different look to it in order to have some continuity between menu and videos. I based it' look on the favourite of my disperse movies, disperse 1, and kept the circle emblem that seems to have become a theme of this project.
I used a rubber tool to create the weathered effect, But I had a few issuse with this, firstly, the white abckground seemes like it would be jarring when contrasted with the old paper background of the rest of my menus, and secondly If I over-weather the circle, it'll make any menu text hard to read and legibility is the key.


Here are the final menus with text overlayed, I chose green because it seemed to fit, thematically with everything I'd been looking at in the silent movie brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment