Tuesday, February 23, 2010

OUGD203, The Beginning.

OK, so today we started a new brief that's collaborative, so we spent today searchin for a partner to collaborate with. We did this by creating posters, firstly one, advertising your skills, and a second one advertising what you want in your collaboratuve partner. I spent a long time listing what I wanted as the scribbly list below will attest:


From this, I made these posters below:


I had a few responses, but crucially, Vickie Simpson responded, as I responded to hers. I thought quite hard about what working with her would mean, we're both image makers, which made me think tht it'd be difficult, but then I thought about all of Vickie's work that I'd seen and her sketchbooks and though that she had some crucial things that I didn't: she has nice finishing skills, which is something I need, just someone to help polish the fine details. I also have some key things she's looking for, which are some knowledge of software with an ability to balance that with an organic illustration style. Anyway, we ahd a sheet to fill out afterwards that sort of evaluated our collaborative partnership, my skills, her skills, what roles will be involved. Heres a transcription 'cause the initial form is all scrappy looking:

Why have you chosen to work wiyh your creative partner?
A combination of their needs: 'Image Maker', 'Uses software but is not dependant on it' etc. and my needs: 'Collage' combines nicely with my need for someone to experiment with papers and paper stocks really nicely. My need for someone to be hardworking and to generate ideas.

What specific areas of creative interest/focus do you want to explore during this brief?
Print and Finish, something I enjoyed in OUGD202 but woul love to explore thoroughly,As I said before, I'd really like to look at paper stocks and how we could use those inventively to effect the way print looks. I'd also like to try something completely different within the area of design for print, an area we haven't really covered before.

What specific design skills do you offer? How do you intend to use them?

Illustration which I hope will be in some way integral to the final resolutions.

Knowledge of software, which I hope will allow me to bring the different styles of our collaboration together, as well as prep for print etc.


What Specific non-design skills do you have to offer? How do you intend to use them?
-I'm able to organise people and make decisions when people feel indecisive, this will help in initial idea development etc.
-I have good speaking and presentation skills which are helpful at crit stages to help my collaborative partner if they're not getting their point across as well as they would like.

What do you see your roles being in the creative partnership?

I intend to help be decisive at times where perhaps my partner might falter, but I also feel that in terms of the aesthetic of our work, I'll probably be taking quite a bit of art direction from my partner; I'm a big admirer of the aesthetics she works with and would really like to learn some of the skills she has.

What do you see your individual responsibilites being in the creative partnership?
-Using my knowledge of software I can feed off of my partners knowledge of fine crafting to create really strong resolutions.
-Using the knowledge I have of layout to help construct a strong and clear message.
-The illustrative elements of the final resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment