Monday, February 8, 2010

Scales, Size & Format

So with the scale, I tried to deal with as little detail as possible, creating a simple pictogram of a hairdryer, the details I included were the fan and the on/off swithc. As the scale reduced, I decided to slowly remove these elements as they became more of a distraction than an aid to decyphering what it is. This is a few different experiments with the colours, they need to be high contrast to ensure the eye can extract as much detail as possible.

I quite like the orange but it doesn't stand out enough.

Pink is garish, avoid.

I dislike the teal/green, it doesn't provide enough clarity.

I quite like the violet, but it needs to be darker and bolder to create enough contrast for maximum visibility.


I added the numbers you traditionally get when you see an eye test and changed the colour to a navy. I think that the numbers are more of a distraction than an aid to the composition. Navy seems to work well, it's that or black and I'm not a fan of using stark black backgrounds.

Bearing that in mind, below is my final piece for print.

No comments:

Post a Comment