Thursday, February 11, 2010

Rationale.

I started with a simple concept, creating idents that advertise a season of John Hughes movies, I identified two key audiences, the current crop of teen to twenty-somethings wo are into John Hughes movies, and those that were of that age at the time (especially given that these films centre around people this age and cater to them). As such I needed to have elements in my Idents that would appeal to both audiences. I looked at contemporary teen films, how they were advertised graphically through posters, dvd menus and title sequences and came to quickly realise that theres alot of hand drawn, hand crafted style that goes into it and felt that this aesthetic would be something worthy of exploring. I looked at several key elements from the movies themselves to create an element of nostalgia that would appeal to an audience from the 80's. Crucially I joined a forum where the users were predominantly of this audience and asked them what appealed the most about the movies. Almost unanimously, dialogue/qoutes and soundtrack were discussed as key points, so I honed in on these as parts of my content.I gradually wittled down my content to fit the time constraints and adopted more of the contemporary visual elements whilst keeping a few knowing references to the movies and an ultimately nostalgic playlist.

In terms of the DVD, I began by using the circle motif that was so prevelant in my Idents, this allowed for consistency right acros the board, I even customised the silent movie menu to look more aesthetically like my favourate video from this section. The packagin followed suit in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment