Monday, May 17, 2010

Layouts, final colour and type choices.

So, initially I looked at the spines again based on the feedback I got, which was no to the pictograms on the side and yes to the block colour, perhaps having John Steinbeck in a large font across the spines. I tried this and hated it, it just seems a little clunky and a compromise to the simplicity of the design elsewhere on the book layouts. I liked the block colour on one spine, but then applying it to all the spines, it seemed a little intense and full on. I removed this and kept the very simple typography at the top. I thought this worked simply and effectively, and I'm more inclined to go with this.


After this I felt I should try and get towards a final resolution for the covers so I can begin testing stocks and finishing techniques tomorrow. Giving me plenty of time to have everything done by next week's crit. Here's the final images with a few font and colour variances. I narrowed it down to Gill Sans and Calibri, I liked the way these looked, but to my surprise, Clarendon appears to be a front-runner again. I didn't want serif, but I can't help it, I love the way Clarendon looks. I'm going to get opinions on a few peers tomorrow first thing and go for it.

The PDF looks a little different to the illustrator/indesign files. The fonts have a 0.25 weight on them here and there and this seems a lot bulkier on the PDF, this could be problematic and I need to play with the way this looks/the way the black ink will bleed to ensure a fully legible book design.


Finally, I thought I'd piece together what a net would look like for the packaging that my peers said I should go for. I'm going to try a few prototypes out tomorrow as well, ahead of wednesdays 'show and tell' style crit.

No comments:

Post a Comment