Monday, May 17, 2010

Of Mice And Men and East of Eden ideas

Ok so I had to move quite quickly from here on out. below are a few different ideas for Of Mice And Men. I didn't really experiment with colour as I usually do, firstly because I was being quick, and secondly I'm really fond of that blue, so I'm going to try and stick with it, though I might play around with a few variant shades. Out of the designs below, the one that works least, to me, is the two hands side by side. It isn't very strong, it was supposed to eb a statement about the size of Lenny and the size of George, and hands as a symbol of friendship, but it just looks like a child and adult hand, instead of an adult and giant hand. I'm really fond of the mice in the hands, it sums up the title well, using imagery of mice and men and echoes an important metaphor of a rabbit that Lenny kills by accident, rubbing it in his hands too hard. I think it works better than the rabbit, which doesn't sit well in the hands, though that might just be because it needs a bit of tinkering. I'm also a fan of the two figures, George and Lenny looking onto a path ahead, which really summarises the plot of traveling towards a dream quite well. So it's between that and the mouse in the hands, so I'm going to ask for feedback tomorrow before printing these on different stocks.


With the East of Eden designs, I really did struggle to think of things, it's all about a reflection of the story of Cain and Abel, and the story of Adam and Eve, a contemplation on human sn, good and evil. The apple reflects the idea of Eden, whilst splitting it into black and white is supposed to represent the difference between good and evil in the book. I think it works quite effectively, though if I go for the splatted grapes for the Grapes of Wrath, it's going to look like a series of books about fruit, so thats something to be careful about. I really am fond of the tree idea, it still needs a bit of tinkering to get it looking quite right but I think I nearly got there towards the end. It reflects the idea of good vs. bad and the stories in Genesis quite well, whilst still reflecting the title, so I'm quite happy about that. I'm not too keen on the profiles, though they do represent Cain and Abel-type characters quite well, they're not particularly aesthetically pleasing to me. Again, I'm going to get opinions before trying them out on stocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment