Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Spine layouts

Based on where I'm at with the covers, here is a massive bunch of spine layout possibilities. Mostly they play around with the type and where it's at. I'm really fond of the little coloured pictograms on the top/bottom of some of them, I think they look quite striking and would make a spine look quite appealing from a distance, now, depending on packaging, it is probable the spine will be the first thing the customer sees, making this a useful asset. It also makes it seem like the best bet is to stick them on the top of the book as a pose to the bottom, so it's more immediate to the customer. I tried a few different fonts; gill sans, Clarendon, helvetica neue, futura and times. I like all of them except times and find it really hard to chose so that's something to mention in the crits. Also the good thing is, when the cover is decided upon, this can be decided upon properly and then I have a proper format for all my books and I can design my packaging, then I can make it by next week so that will be dandy.



EDIT: The first page should be like this, with helvetica neue at the bottom, not clarendon twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment