Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Prep and crit


Ok, so I printed my book covers, but I'm a dipstick and I forgot to change the names in the spines which has totally bummed me out. Anyway, I photoshopped it for the design boards below. At this stage, foil-blocking wasn't really an option, I thought I'd propose it, so I photo-shopped it onto a blank box, ready for the crit. I thought it looked ok, but not very convincing, so at this point with a little time, I'm going to try and actually foil-block or at least screen-print with some silver ink to give a more realistic impression.

Here's the boards laid out with the stuff I have for them so far. They look OK, I tried to mock them up to look a little like the book layouts but I'm not keen and will try something simpler and less space consuming, though I think the splash board works effectively. There's typos everywhere though so I need to correct that for the actual boards. I think that the way the books are photographed on the product board is very limiting and flat, I might try and re-take pictures once I've reprinted the books with the correct spines so they're upright at an angle like books are presented on the penguin web banners, then I can transpose them as product shots into web design.


Crit feedback (Tim and ed, Adam and Linds):
Blog:
-I haven't updated enough recently, which is fair comment, though I'm actively doing that right now. I guess an issue I've had, which I need to address for the next project I do, is that I've been so hectic trying to organise the project into shape, I haven't taken time out to properly record the different things I've been doing.
-Theres a lot of good development once I've got onto the computer, but there's not much recorded sheet-work. My answer to that is, I didn't do a lot of sheet work, I thumbnailed and then wanted to get stuck right in testing and trying layouts and colours. I'm not going to pretend thats what I did, if it effects my grade then it does, but I'm not going to pretend about that.
-Good analysis.

Boards:
-Well laid out
-Clear and concise
-splash board looks good.
-A lot of typos and wording needs to be more considered... which is a fair point and I'm going to address that as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment