Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Type as image, pt III; The Cat Doesn't Speak.

Ok so I started out picking, 'I am either angry, firghtened or drunk.' However, I felt completely uninspired doing this and failed to come up with a single idea that seemed worthwhile. This post deals with the development of my final resolution only. I decided to use helvetica neue with the weight wacked up a bit to give it some meat as a basis for the font.



Right initially, with this idea, I thought about how the article it's self is humorous whilst remaining kind of 'proper' and middle class, which is why I based it so heavily in a traditional looking font as a pose to the quite hand drawn fonts I've used in the other two. I decided that contrasting the straight-laced nature of the font with it's new furry exterior would be a nice juxtaposition that would kind of give a similar sense of humour as the article.


I initially decided to place it in a speech bubble to go along with the 'doesn't speak bit' however, I think that it looked bloody terrible. The shape doesn't and will never lend it's self to the format, I then decided that this part was kind of unneccassary anyway and that I should let the type speak for it's self.

I tried variances on brown and orange to simulate traditional cat colours. Te orange as a background colour is too bright.


At this point i'm split between orange on white and white on brown. I asked Ollie and Tom and they both liked white on brown the best, so this is what I shal print tommorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment