Monday, January 18, 2010

First Visuals:

So trying to meet all the neccassary requirements of my audience has been difficult but I started thinking about visuals that combined photography and illustration, because I could then combine the important imagery that draws the attention of the audience from the 80's and combine it with hand done visuals that tend to be assosciated with modern indie/teen films. There are some things that inspired this on my context blog, but here is my progress, I started with the breakfast club(Click for Bigger images):

Ok so I started with the iconic image of them all together from the film poster, I wanted to create a kind of old greyed out, stained photograph to give the feel of age that could be associated with nostalgia.


Here is the photo after I desaturated it and added some stains using a coffe-stain brush set. Also there are some of the basic elements I decided to use like the typography which is shown before and after a live trace.

So I started with this using the old photograph and a vectorised circle, I realised the photo by it's self would look a little odd and I wanted to introduce some colour. The typography looked awful against the pink, which I chose because it's reminiscent of the top Molly Ringwald wears in the Breakfast club, so I changed it to white which made it look alot more natural.


I then put the text on a right-align, because I felt it suited the composition better and created a natural line down the text and the photograph, giving the impression of some order. I also spent a while looking at other possible colours because, to be honest, pink is really appropriate to 16 Candles and I really don't want to use the same colours for every film. I tried yellow because the lockers in the school are yellow, but the typ looked awful and began to hurt your eyes when I kept it that way, green looked better, but less appropriate and then i arrived at blue, it seemed the most fitting.





Penultimately, I decided i wanted a more hand rendered feel, so I substituted the vector circle for a wonky hand drawn one that I'd scanned in earlier, I also mucked around with the blue for a bit before reverting to a similar blue I had to start with.

Finally, I added some coffee stains to the composition as a whole to match it with the photograph. I think I like it, but I want to mess around with some more styles before I settle on one, however if I use this rough composition as an end point at least, it gives me somewhere from which to start storyboarding.

UP NEXT, STORY BOARDING

1 comment:

  1. looking good mate, i reckon maybe adding a paper texture behind it and then just fiddling with it on photoshop or something like that to get a more tactile feel :) but other than that, awesome!

    ReplyDelete