Saturday, January 9, 2010

Development of my 4 Silent Movies.

So here is the sort of progressions of my work, it's interesting to note how they've changed over time from the way my hand drawn storyboards present them. At this stage I'm learning how to do new things all the time.

Here's the development for my first movie:

This was my starting point, getting the letter to move down, hit the ground and then move (convincingly) as if the ground had made the word bounce and disperse. I chose a blue-y green to link it in colour-thematically with what I had in mind for some of my other idents.


Here I tried to generte the whole word, getting to the point where it hits the ground.

Here is the process of animating the whole word to bounce away and disperse, alot of time was spent trying to get it to move convincingly, I spent a bit of time trying to get the letters to sqaush slightly and very briefly, before coming out of the ground again.


















I noticed that the animation was looking incredibly flat, so I added a camera and a light to give it a nice bit of depth and a bit of shadow.

Development for my second movie:

Ok so I started out with a very simple composition, I wanted the words to seem as if they were falling and sipersed upon impact. I thought that this composition was far too basic though.




I jazzed it up by making it 3d, layering the words and changing the scales, I think this makes it look a little more dynamic and gives it a professional quality.

Here's a progression of making it disperse after the fact of the initial impact. It was quite obvious from the start that it needed to do something first to instigate the dispersion as it looks quite a boring video as it is. Once I got the motion down to a standard I felt happy with, I sort of created a zoom out using a camera that made it look like the text was falling, I've used transform-scale before but I didn't think it lookd es good as using the camera. It also ended up adding this weird blurr effect that kind of makes it look like they're falling through water.
















Development for my third movie:
I discovered this effect as I was going along, and I thought it looked like an early plan I had to make letters disperse, but I didn't think it was do-able, it doesn't look exactly the same but it was a good springboard, I tried green on black, using green again to create continuity between the videos.


I didn't think it looked good in black so I tried it in white, which would have even more continuity.

Development for my fourth movie:
I say fourth movie, but this is the one that I've had an idea about since the start. This is where I made my initial colour choice, I wanted a colour that would reflect the earthy subject matter of the video. Brown looked to dull so I went for green and I'm quite happy with the results. I briefly tried to do it using lighting and cameras, but it didn't look right or function well, I think the style i went for really suits the kind of flat grainy qaulity it has.








No comments:

Post a Comment