Sunday, December 5, 2010

Guild Of Taxidermists Welcome letter/letterhead


I created an 8 column grid for the letter to sit in, this allowed me to create a really wide margin that provides a lot of negative space for the type to sit in, avoiding the worry of overcrowding.


I generated some content with all the appropriate information about what the membership pack contains. Point size was a consideration, whilst I'm not generally a fan of type of a size bigger than 8 pt. for body copy, I have to consider the fact that this letter is to be sent to all new members of which some may have difficulties with their eyesight. With this in mind, I set the type at 10 pt. to ensure maximum readability. With the header taking such a wide space of the document, my initial thought was to place the address along the bottom to mirror this, it seems acceptable but I'm going to try a few things out to see if there's a better way to do it.


I then had to set the entire thing in Gill in order to keep with the stylistic choices I've been making with this project based on the type setting of the logo. I also changed the leading of the address to +294, the same as the logo to try and tie the type together.





I experimented with left aligning the logo and setting the address to the right of it, but it made the letter look extremely top heavy.



I tried to generate some more space between the two by aligning them to the margins rather than the inner columns, but this along with the type being aligned to the inner margins made it sit on the page in an extremely weird way. The type no longer looked tightly grided and seemed a bit untidy.



I tried to invert it to see if this made a difference but the issue was in the gridding of the assets rather than the way round they were presented.


I then tried center aligning the address under the logo, but again this seemed top heavy and the header began to take up too much space.





I then tried laying the address out on one line underneath the header, and this looked a lot better, but I still preferred the address being placed at the bottom, the symmetry that it created was more interesting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment