Monday, December 13, 2010

Web of Mass Deception

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/WMDlies.html

In my research I stumbled upon this website which is really useful, it's rich in the kind of content I need for my poster, so I'm going to use this as a source for the majority of my design piece. The concept is to expose the web of lies generated so America could go to war with Iraq across a timeline. It's set across a circular grid in order to create a visual similar to a web and to cause people to spin the page round in a fashion similar to a web being weaved.


I began laying the text from it in a 3 tier circular grid system. I used the flat earth model I'd created for the membership pack brief as a basic grid to work with.


I began laying the type into the tiers as stated before; text from the website that involved only the conspirators, text that involved lying to other governments and then finally on the outer tier


On the outside I put the dates of the start and end of the iraq war to give people a better idea of when events occurred.

I used a dotted circular line to point out these 3 layers of lying that I'd already mentioned.


I tried labelling them in the manner below, but it looks really sloppy, so I'm going to try something else like a key.


Here's the key, I think it works better, this is the grid I'm going to use to lay out the type around it.




I had a brief go at designing a logo that was unusual, trying to use the curves and straight lines of a web to make letterforms, but it looked really ugly and so I stuck to a simple helvetica logo that matches the typography of the rest of the content.


Heres the lgog in the centre of the web. I like it's presence there conceptually, but it's too small realistically, and it kind of jumbles the web a little bit.



With the circles around the web, I initially started with a system of green, amber and then red, but I don't like it's connotations of traffic lights, and it also seems to say acceptable, less acceptable and then unacceptable, rather than suggesting tears of lying.


So then I went for a series of shades of reds, the signifier of negativity.










Changed the lines to dotted to reflect the circular lines in the actual diagram beneath.



I put the title in a header format along with a short summary of what the poster is about in 12 pt. I think this makes it a more cohesive piece of design, where the reader can interpret the information presented to them with more clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment