Friday, December 3, 2010

UK Guild of Taxidermists

OK so i googled Taxidermy to try and get some interesting visuals and immedietely the following images of all their tools came up, I thought this was a unique way to go, and considering that my audience is going to be taxidermists already, there isn't really a reason to have to explain what these tools are, they can just sit there as signifiers of the taxidermist's craft and be instantly recognised by them.




I immediately thought that turning these into a series of intricate vectors that are laid out well could create a very unique and interesting identity for them. SO I set about tracing the mot interesting of them, I left a few out because they were very similar to other tools I'd already done, or they didn't lend themselves well to becoming a vector. I played around with a few different typographic approaches and had Craig on hand to give me a few different ideas about typographic approaches, I looked at condensed fonts and deco style fonts because they always spring to mind with these very simplistic almost screen print style 2 colour imagery. Something wasn't working about them, so I looked at goigng the other way, with a very thin weighted font, with a very large leading, so I looked at Gill Sans light at a leading of almost 300, using lines above and below the word taxidermist to anchor the widely tracked lettering together, without it looking too sparse and disparate.













I looked a little bit at colourways but I obviously need to explore this further, but this gives me one really strong direction I can go in, because it says craft and skill, it speaks directly to my audience who have a special understanding of taxidermy tools and it's a lot more inventive than what they seem to have: http://www.taxidermy.org.uk/

Anyway, on with more design directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment