Monday, November 15, 2010

Checking Hierarchy + tweaks I need to make

I printed this to test the hierarchy of the page amongst my peers. I asked about 7. Everybody seemed to read the hierarchy correctly, going from header to pull quote to body copy before looking at the fact sheet at the top and the personal account in the middle, though the order the last two were read was always different but I didn't really have an issue with this. 2 people said that the fact sheet at the far right didn't register with them, but they said that this was because they felt like it was crop/printer marks. I don't think this is much of an issue because they are quite experienced graphic designers, experienced with uncropped prints, this kind of thign wouldn't register with the average reader. The audience i think these would sit with are obviously people interested in cults, collecting things and perhaps even a broad interest in the arts and design, I doubt these things will register with that audience. The rest of the people I talked to about it didn't even mention this.



I then looked at things that might need tweaking, for example, for some reason I'd decided to do the headers all in capitals, which looked a little strange sitting next to a header that used title case. This needs changing to create a greater unity in the layout.



The font inside the peak population/death toll circles is too ligh, I used a light italic. The colour dominates the type and makes it very hard to read, given the amount of bleed certain paperstocks will have, I need to change this to a heavier font. Also, I need to avoid the really jagged edges at the right hand margin of text columns, it reduces the readability of the body copy significantly.


Finally, for some reason the little core beliefs section wasn't in italics, which it is on eevry other layout I've done. I need to ensure that the continuity of these little touches works throughout to create a really strong series.

No comments:

Post a Comment