Thursday, November 18, 2010

Testing Colourways

For the ones that I've done so far, only 2 of them need colour exploration at this stage, as a pose to having a bit of a mess around at the screenprinting stage,this being the Raelian Church, who's colour will alter when I screen glow in the dark ink over it anyway, although I may do a test to see how visible it is when it isn't glowing anyway, removing the need for colour, however, I've decided to look at what greens should sit under it to ensure that it is visible and the text is legible in the ink.














With the greens I've been looking at, I prefer the paler, every so slightly bluer greens to the very yellow greens that are quite snot coloured and unpleasant to me. I'm also a fan of the lighter shades to the very deep and dominating greens. DS 278-5 seems a little more appropriate, but i want to check the visibility of the glow in the dark ink in normal light first, because if it's visible enough by it's self, I'd much rather do that.


And I also needed to test what red to use for the Manson layout. I decided to go much subtler than I was looking before, removing the blood droplets from the poster side, and simply having the text red. I want to spot varnish over the red sections on both sides to create the feeling of liquid, this combined with the red will hopefully create a link in the viewers mind between the visuals I've represented and blood/murder. I have been a lot subtler than I could have been, I think this gives it more integrity than smearing everything in splatter brushes, which could be deemed a little tacky. Anyway, it's important I get the right red, it needs to be crimson enough, without having a tinge of pink, orange or indigo.









With this, it was much easier to find what I was looking for, a few of the ones above are too orange or too indigo, or even too light, appearing a bit pink. DS91-1 is a vivid and quite pur red, with enough darkness to it to have connotations of blood without seeming too heavy on the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment