Wednesday, November 24, 2010

DSW publication

OK, so part of the brief called for a press release/portfolio of work that could be given out and mailed out to potential clients and even employers if she decides to become a designer for someone else's company. I did some quick paper mock ups of the forms that it could take, be it a fold out poster or a standard booklet.

So my first idea was to do a fold out poster with a splash page on one side and then the other information laid out on the other side in an interesting and well gridded way. Unfortunately the image quality of even the good photos that Daisy has sent mean that they're too small to make a full page spread with, eliminating this as an option.






The second format I could work with would be derived from folded down paper again, however, this time it would be stapled and cropped to make a standard A format booklet. I know that A format isn't particularly popular right now, but in a brief that involves real costing, then this is an effective and non-wasteful format to use.







I quickly began playing with the assests I'd collected over the course of branding Daisy to put together this publication. I started with the colorful logo I'd been using on the business cards, but I don't really like it this way. I simply chose the title works, although I played with collections. I think the issue with collections is that it descrbes only garments, where actually Daisy's work is as diverse as being a make-up artist and art direction, so 'works' seems like a more appropriate title, I ran it past Daisy and she really liked it so we're sticking with it for now untill she came up with something different.

Another thing to note is the website, which has actually changed a few times in terms of the availability of it, but DSWfashion.co.uk isn't taken and she's buying soon. I think this web name works really well on the cobver as it informs people exactly what the booklet is about.







I started working with a basic 8 column, 8 row grid with a view to using 2 columns per text box. If I need to make it more complicated then I'll change it as I go along, but this grid is nice and symmetrical and suits very crisp and minimal layout.


I worked on this as a splash page/ nice bit of colour that ties the book together and unites it with the rest of the stationary. If there's enough pages left over at the end, then this is definitely an option that I can go with.

Then I started playing around with titles and layouts but it was all a bit aimless really, Daisy wasn't able to give me much of the information I needed and I need her to send me some much better quality photographs if I'm going to produce the kind of high standard she wanted. What I do like about this start is the change in weights of the title, highlighting the About bit of the title. It kind of reminds me of the way with compliments was layed out on the compliments slip, which creates a nice bit of parity between the stationary and the booklet again.



One spread I was able to work on quite extensively and quickly was the alpha and omega t-shirts because they were a project I actually worked with her on, designing the prints for the garments she designed. I started with the title and again mimicked the with compliments slip. The images themselves created quite a nice mirror, so i started with a layout that reflected this, with the brief summary of the work mirroring the title. I tried a few other things out before deciding that I was really onto a winner with using the mirror idea. With that in mind, I reversed the photo on the right to further this effect even more. I think the themes of opposites in life and death are then reflected quite nicely in the mirror layouts.













Spurred on, I went back to the abouts page and contents. I decided to put in the picture that I'd extracted the colour from to make the compliments slip. The problem with this is that if I use that full colour splash page, then perhaps it's too much. It was also difficult to lay out the text on the page without the image behind really interfering with it.




The text I've been using throughout the body copy is 7 pt century gothic with +10 leading and 10 pt line spacing. This should be very readable but I'll obviously check this at a later date with some mock-up prints.


Finally, a mock up of a double page full image spread, but I'm not sure whether there will be space to do this kind of thing when all is said and done.


After doing most of this over yesterday, I realised I was quite confused and aimless and I needed some further direction so I had a meeting with Daisy this morning, where I went over exactly what she wanted in the book, and gave her apiece of paper with all the file requirtements on it: CMYK, 300dpi etc. below is a piece of paper where she's ordered the work she wants in the book into pages and she also wants the thign divided into sections, such as garment design, make-up/styling and art direction which I think is a very good idea, though this booklet is getting bigger than I initally thought it would be, meaning it may have to be 4 separate pieces of A3 paper folded down to A5, or 2 A2's done in the same way. It's good to have a road map and I'll stick to this untill/if it throws some problems up.

No comments:

Post a Comment