Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Development so far of Daisy's logo

Ok so this PDF is documentation of the last two days of work for Daisy's logoform, trying to develop a few different directions:


I talked with Daisy and she wanted to use her initials for the label because they seemed more gender neutral.

I started with some quick drawings, I tried to think of how to combine the high fashion/street fashion combination that Daisy's work as going on, along with the playful/colourful and macabre aspects of her work, so I spent some time looking at bones and skulls. A lot of her work features skulls so initially I thought this might be something to work with, but I quickly realised that I need something to compliment that rather than mirror it exactly.

After my quick sketches I went on to start playing with things in illustrator, initially I started with very simple/very poor designs just to get myself into the flow of it. I got to quite an interesting stage where the logo was pierced by an arrow and a drop of blood came out, I think the way this was visually styled avoided it looking tacky. To me it balanced the combination of high-fashion, playfulness and the macabre.

I then printed these developments off and had a meeting with Daisy yesterday. She liked the direction that that was heading in, but she also liked a really simple logo I'd done. I wasn't keen and we had a discussion about it's appropriateness and how it doesn't really demonstrate what her label is all about. She agreed, thankfully. She also had some suggestions of her own; she always carried around a key necklace and it had sentimental value to the point where she felt it was quite summative of her, and maybe I could try something involving this too.

I decided to work with century gothic because it looks quite sophisticated for a sans serif font, but his is subject to change, I intend to try a load of different fonts out to see their overall effect on the logo. I also changed the w from century gothic to New Cicle that I came across looking for body copy for my Manchester Book Fair project because i really stood out as unusual.

This gave me plenty to go away and look at, I also had my own idea of creating a varsity/chinelle style logo (HERE in my context blog) but made using a type that simulates bones that balances the idea of the macabre with playfulness. I'm not sure about how high-end it looks though, it may be a step too far in the direction of playful. I'm quite happy that it's a point that I can take it and mess around with it to make it better.

I then tried using the key that Daisy was talking about, again I've got it to a point where it looks strong and I can start playing around with it. Again I used Century Gothic combined with the New Cicle W because I'm enjoying it, but this is also subject to change.

Finally theres all the different directions I've come up with so far presented on one page for Daisy to look at tomorrow/thursday. Finally, I guess you're wondering about mint green, eh? well Daisy said she liked mint green so I thought I'd use that as a starting point and then explore a wider range of colours after that.

Things to do:
-Explore the different logos in a variety of different colours and typefaces
-Have a meeting with Daisy about what she needs the logo-form to be applied to
-Design the two print designs for garments as specified in the brief.

I want this brief entirely finished by the end of next week maximum, including print finish and the garment designs ready for Daisy to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment