Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The order Of The Solar Temple

I got various bits of information about The Order of The Solar Temple that I haven't posted to my context blog yet, but will do by the end of today. Anyway, here is the progression of putting the content into the layout style that I had before. I've decided from the off that because of the solar theme and the need for a unique print finish, I want to go for really vivid fluorescent yellow ink for the colour/finish. This lead to some immediate problems with the type, where in every other document, the type running vertically along the document has always had the same colour as the colour of the document, unfortunately with a fluorescent yellow against a white background, this is going to be illegible. I've tried to combat this by putting it into black and dropping the tint of the black to around 75% so it doesn't interfere with the hierarchy, but I am going to need to print this to ensure that it works, by asking several of my peers.




The pull quote was also a nightmare, normally with these layouts I'd have a unique symbolic shape laid over a photograph of the cult leader in an overprint style. Obviously with yellow it lets the black through a lot more than a darker colour and because it's light it means there's no consistent colour running through the overlay, making the laying of type upon it very difficult. Craig gave me a number of solutions, for example, making the duotone image yellow, I then tried placing a black 'sun' over this image to lay the type into, but it just looked far too strong on the page, drawing the eye away from the title. I then decided to try and overlay the text just by it's self in a way similar to the way the titles are, I liked the symmetry and made sure that the type was anchored to the grid system I had in place.

Despite a need for a few minor tweaks, this is almost ready to go to print, There's no point experimenting with colourways because there's only one fluorescent yellow ink upstairs, and I can perhaps mix that with other inks for the sake of experimentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment