Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Quick exchange between myself and Daisy

So yesterday I sent off the logo, the thicker one at first before realising it needed a much thinner line weight. She did like it, and I did explain my position to her, so that was good, however she then sent me some photographs (below) that she wanted on her business cards.






She wanted this image for her business card, with experience of what looks professional as a business card, I was quite aware that photographs on business cards tend to look quite amateur; specifically when they're a composition. So I decided to select a small coloured part of the photograph and use that as a very simple background for the business card, applying the logo over the top. I think it looks more sophisticated when the majority of the card is black. However, when presented like this, the colour looks less like colour and more like a mock up of the ulti reflective foil block they have upstairs. I guess this is something to consider when looking at print finish, another alternative is to spot varnish over the colour and create a shine on it that way, my experience of this suggests that this would be a lengthier and more costly process though.





I had a meeting with Daisy about this and although I really think this logo is right for her and suits her work well, she's insistent on having a skull or something skeletal in the logo, offering that perhaps the full stop between the D and the S become a skull, or bones perhaps. My issue with this is that when scaling down the logoform this detail can be lost or become too overpowering when scaling it up. I'm struggling to consolidate the idea of what she thinks she wants in a logo and what I know she needs/what I know she definitely shouldn't do with a logo. I'm going to try and mock up what she wants really quickly and show the problem with doing that over scale. I've also asked her to email me some of her work so i can show her ways that my design will sit with and compliment her work. Hopefully this will persuade the client that I'm right. Or at least throw up things I think might need changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment