Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Cults development work

Firstly, I decided to start looking at the scientology brief. They often say 'we are not a cult' and the question as to whether they are a cult is a large discussion that surrounds them, I thought of this fold that hides the word 'not' in the centre of the page. I personally feel that this is quite a clever idea and quite a unique fold, it leaves quite a nice square format too. I want to roll with this:




So then I spent some time designing it, it came together pretty quickly, I've coloured it gold here because I want to use either a gold foilblock or a metallic ink to represent how wealthy they are an how respectable they want to be. I've used a serif font because of it's traditional connotations of respectability and tradition that echoes their intention quite well. I started with Times, but changed to Baskerville Bold, The weight that it takes up on the page and the shape of the letters is much more flattering than the quite angular times, so I stuck with it. Below I put a definition of cult and simply 'A guide to the church of scientology. I think this both defines the subject and the specificity of the content inside quite well.


I then began designing the cntent inside, I decided to take baskerville bold to the header fonts inside to create some continuity, then essentially I started playing with the layout and the font sizes. I got to a point I'm reasonably happy with, but it's far too simple, it needs something else, so I'll se what happens with the crit feedback on this one.



Above is some different font sizes for the body copy to check readability, I was quite happy sticking to helvetica because it's a nice clear sans serif that contrasts with the serif header pretty well. Also it's the font I've currently got going with the People's Temple body copy and it would create some continuity in spite of the different styles and folds I'm thinking of right now. I tried a few different sizes ranging from 6pt (that literally made David gasi cringe, up to 8 pt. I settled for 7.5 pt in the end under the advice of a few of the more type competent members of the group. I have to agree that at 7.5 pt it does have readability without being too large. I'm always very aware of making body copy too big as a pose to too small, because when I see body copy that's too big, I feel like it's insulting my intelligence or it's patronising me a little.

Below is the product where it's at in development, printed in colour for the crit.





I also started the Manson family stuff, and here is my development for that, I was wanting to create a leaflet in a similar style to the qubik leaflet that I showed in a previous post. It feels a little content heavy though, it occupied too much of the page and didn't have the negative space that I really liked in the Peoples Temple work that I'd been doing. I tried increasing the leading and linespacing to make the content look a little less heavy, and it did work, but it still felt to heavy to look at, to I'm going to have to look at a different solution and the crit can perhaps help.





Below is some prints o look at readability, I looked at futura and gill as well as different line spacing, leading and point sizes. But it didn't matter what I did, I knew that this wasn't a good direction to keep going in, so I'm going to ask for some help on this in the crit. Things I do still like include the blood droplet shape and the continuation of the little facts bar running down the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment