Friday, November 26, 2010

Further development Flat Earth logo


Ok, so not satisfied entirely with where I was going, I looked at a different approach to the logo using a flat circle to represent the disk model that Flat Earthers believe exists, using flat horizontal lines to intersect the type to emphasise this, but I'm not really sure of the clarity of it to be perfectly honest. I do enjoy the different weightings in the logo to put emphasis on the flat earth section though, so this is something that I can perhaps take forward with it.


I started to look back at where I was going with it before, sort of modelling this kind of victorian adventurer style that seemed to be developing. Ian linked me to this website for 826 DC's unnatural history museum and the style of logo has elements that I really enjoyed and really suited the direction this particular branding was going in. I tried to keep the flat earth model vectors I was working with before, but it wasn't gelling, so I'm going to try and work it in as a texture for the inside of the regulations book cover, membership cards etc.

The one that I'm thinking is working most effectively is the top one in the row at the far right. The est. 1956 is too close to the rest of the logo when placed either side of 'The' and causes hierarchy issues, where as, when placed over the border art, it sinks back and lets the flat earth society come to the foreground. The type is a combination of Bebas, which reminded me of the unnatural history museum logo, and adobe Caslon, initially I went with Baskerville and all capitals, but the difference in line weight across the letterforms in Caslon makes it that bit more interesting to me, it also plays of the very flat and blocky bebas quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment