Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Manson Family progression

Here's some more development I did around the idea of 'now is the time for Helter Skelter'. the command Charles Manson gave his followers to murder Roman Polanski's wife along with other celebrities.


Initially I wanted to do just the slogan but it looked a bit bland by it's self, so I put in the picture of Charlie Manson, even though it wasn't working before. It started to work better with this typography over it though. I started working with the idea that it was a command for bloodshed and started with quite an over the top response with blood everywhere. I thought it was a little too much and in your face, so I decided to tone it down, using geometric shapes to create a wound and blood drips, which seemed a bit tamer and a bit more intelligent.

I think the most successful response to the brief is the single droplet of blood central to the image with the word for within it. the smaller for creates a bit more of a dynamic around the type, and the centre align works well. It also works conceptually because the command is to begin the bloodshed so a singular drop of blood really works well. I think because everything is central, the composition seems to be working well, also.

Below are the more final versions of what I've been doing, as I say the last one, where everything is centrally aligned with one blood drop works the most successfully.







And finally here it is as a flat slogan, I don't think it's as successful as having the photograph at all. The flatness of it is just a little bland, and without the photo of Charles Manson (which I'd lambasted in an earlier post about my work) it doesn't seem to say as much about the cult. I asked a few of my peers and they seemed to agree. The photo of Manson is ok, and it does tie this one to the koo aid one, thematically, I'm juust not keen on the photograph, I just can't seem to find one bigger. I'm going to go to Leeds Mets' Library to try and dig some photos up though.

No comments:

Post a Comment