Friday, November 5, 2010

Putting my books together

Open publication - Free publishing
^cover



^Poster





Above is the book in it's conventional layout and below is the book and overlays paginated so it folds into 2 duplexed leafs holding 8 pages each. I had to do this so I could create 2 screens to print the spot varnish on as a pose to 8 A3 screens.








Once I'd printed and screen printed the covers and posters, I had to cut them all out. An issue in screen printing came up; When I started screen printing the spot varnish over the inside pages, it became apparent I was only going to get one print out before I'd have to wash the screen, this meant that it would take days to screen print the content. I made an executive decision then to have one with spot varnish on the inside for the purpose of photographing and including in my portfolio and then the rest that I'd be selling at the book fair wouldn't. This wasn't ideal but I think it was neccassary in terms of finishing the brief on time.








^cropping all my pages down


^Folding my pages ready to crop.


^Books and posters ready to sew.


^Sewn up books I used a 2 up saddle stitch to bind them together, but it was a bit of an odd variant, because there were two 8 page booklets inside it, I had to sew threw the the cover twice to ensure that both booklets were tightly bound to the cover.


Inside stitching, ready to cut down.


Cropped and sewn book and poster with plastic sleeve and sticker.

Now I've got product shots to take and photoshop them ready to make concept boards. I'll show these in my next post where I evaluate how this whole thing went.

No comments:

Post a Comment