Sunday, November 28, 2010

Order of the Magi logo development







OK above is a few images of the progression I made whilst making the logo for the order of the magi, I started with the principle that it needed to be mysterious and symbolic, representing the mystique and secrecy that surrounds magicians and magic societies in general. I initially started with the shapes in the top left of the first image, which are a traditional symbol for alchemy, but it seemed very bland and communicated geometric shapes than it did mysteriousness. Also the type I'd started working out for it was very flat. I was kind of inspired by some research that I'd already done on Aleister Crowley, who started an order called the A.'.A.'., the way this type looks just written down inspired me to start using the O from order and the M from Magi to start creating a logoform that created more intrigue than just spelling out exactly what it was.
I experimented with using different shapes to turn it into a unique symbol, but ultimately I decided that the O and the underscored M by themselves in the hand worked the most effectively, providing something mysterious but thankfully lacking in gimmick, which was the danger with some of the other ones. I also looked at colourways because I had some idea that I might want to use a fluorescent or a metallic ink on the logo, but I'm not sure yet, I'm running out of time and I still have the cults brief to finish and photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment